leah wiste pledged $1,000.00 2018-10-25 14:32:31 -0400
Your support is vital to our mission: to inspire and equip people of faith to exercise love for all Creation.
This year, your donations helped us:
- Lift up the voices of faith leaders calling for water protection and water justice.
- Offer 5 solar workshops and host 6 solar celebrations around the state.
- Support the greening of Detroit houses of worship by connecting them with the US Green Building Council’s 2030 District initiative.
- Collaborate with the City of Ann Arbor to help 12 congregations explore and figure out how to finance solar energy.
- Install free energy efficiency upgrades in 160 houses of worship (goal: 200 by the end of the year) through Light the Way.
- Gather thousands of signatures to advocate for strong Clean Car Standards.
...and there's so much more to be done!COUNTDOWN TO 11:59 PM EST on December 01$1,200.00 pledged$5,000.00
Spend less on energy, more on mission.
Since 2015, congregations participating in Light the Way have saved an average of $500+ on annual energy expenses!
In 2017, we helped 200 congregations receive an average of $1,500+ in FREE energy efficiency upgrades. This year, we’re helping 200 more!
Congregations eligible for our 2018 Light the Way program:
- Are located in Michigan
- Have Consumers Energy electric, or electric + gas service
- Own their facility
Customers with Consumers electric may receive:
- 11W Flood LED (replaces 65W incandescent floodlight)
- 9W LED (replaces 60W incandescent)
- 4-6W LED (replaces 25W-40W incandescent candelabra)
- LED bulbs for Exit Signs
- Vending Machine Miser (for compatible cold beverage machines)
Customers whose water heater is powered by Consumers gas may also receive:
- Pre-Rinse Spray Valve
- Bathroom Faucet Aerators
- Kitchen Faucet Aerators
So… why is Consumers Energy giving away free stuff? Why would they want to sell us less energy?
Great question! Since the enactment of the Clean, Renewable, and Efficient Energy Act of 2008, and the extension of the Energy Efficiency Standard in 2016, Michigan utilities are required to spend a percentage of their profits on energy efficiency products and services for their customers. Programs like this help utilities fulfill this obligation and boost customer satisfaction.
Why is Michigan IPL working with a utility?
Michigan IPL has worked with Consumers to develop this program because it helps us to fulfill our mission to inspire and equip faith communities to be better stewards of God’s creation-- and we know it helps congregations spend less on bills and more on things that matter!
I still have questions! Who can I talk to?
Please contact our Project Manager, Jennifer Young. She can be reached via email or at 248-463-8811.
leah wiste endorsed 2018-03-27 17:15:06 -0400Line 5 poses an unreasonable risk to Michigan and all of Creation. Water is life! Shut it down!
The Line 5 Pipeline poses an unreasonable risk to our Great Lakes and should be decommissioned. For lots more information, check out Oil & Water Don't Mix.
Faith leaders will hand deliver this letter to the Governor's Office on Monday, April 23. Speak up for creation by signing on!
PRIVACY NOTE: We ask for your address only so that we can identify you as a Michigan resident. We won't send you unsolicited mail.
Dear Gov. Snyder and Attorney General Schuette,
As people of many faiths, we are called by the Creator to guide and lead others to love and care for each other and all of creation. Therefore, we ask that you respond carefully and quickly to an issue which is of grave importance to the entire Great Lakes ecosystem and our communities within the Basin.
Members of our faith communities have indicated growing concern over the lack of adequate upkeep and question the necessity of continuing operation of the Enbridge Pipeline 5. This 65-year-old pipeline, which runs over and through the entire State of Michigan, is showing signs of decomposition and has a history of 29 documented leaks totaling over 1 million gallons. The line’s rising potential for rupture jeopardizes the future water quality, ecosystem health, commercial fisheries, tourism, and livelihood of those across and beyond Michigan.
We call upon you, our elected leaders, to uphold the principle of the Public Trust Doctrine, wherein the people of Michigan have the inalienable right to the preservation, use and protection of the waters of the Great Lakes. This doctrine affirms that no private, public or commercial use shall harm the waters of the Great Lakes by materially reducing the flow, changing levels, or polluting the waters of the Great Lakes Basin. This principle aligns with our call as people of faith and citizens of the world to assure the right stewardship of our waters. Simply put, it is our belief that the Great Lakes are not an appropriate place to transport crude oil and it is our right as citizens to demand that this practice cease.
We share with scores of Michiganders their concerns about a growing threat of a spill, vague safety tests, and piecemeal repair each time pipe degradation is observed. These are not solutions to the problem, but a band-aid at best. For all the risk that Line 5 poses to Michigan and the Great Lakes Region, the benefits are few. The public has been crying out for this Line to be closed for almost a decade and easements across tribal lands expired in 2013.
As representatives of thousands of voices across Michigan we demand that you:
- Initiate decommissioning of the pipeline NOW and decline the building of any more underwater lines in the Great Lakes Basin.
- Stop using the “loss of propane” as a scare tactic and make arrangements for land-based transportation for the small amount of propane that is needed in the Upper Peninsula currently coming from the pipeline. Trains and tankers are proven alternatives and viable options.
- Demonstrate proper governmental oversight to protect the people and state resources!
- Show compassion for others and the planet. Consider the legacy you intend to leave for all our children and grandchildren and the earth.
We will continue to pray over this issue and voice our concern everywhere we can. We will pray that you, our elected and appointed representatives, will experience a change in heart and mind, and that you stand with the majority of people who lovingly show compassion for this planet – our island home – we only have one.Endorse