Here are just a few of the many free Earth care resources designed especially for congregations. If you have a relevant resource you'd like to share with the Michigan IPL community, email it to email@example.com.
Solar for Houses of Worship Workshop Presentations - Solar Financing (9/18/18):
- Michigan IPL presentation- Solar Funding
- Michigan IPL presentation - Solar Houses of Worship in Michigan
- Todd O'Grady (Michigan Saves): When it Makes Sense to Borrow
- Diane Van Buren (D2 Solar): Solar Financing Options
- St. Peter's Solar Financing Workshop Handouts
Solar for Houses of Worship Workshop Presentations (8/6/18):
- Michigan IPL presentation
- Diane Cheklich (Dept. of Energy, Solar in Your Community Challenge coach): Net Metering and Power Purchase Agreements
- Marnese Jackson (Field Organizer, NAACP Environmental and Climate Justice Program): Environmental and Climate Justice
- Ali Dirul CEO, Ryter Cooperative Industries: Introduction to Solar (presentation forthcoming)
- Pilgrim Baptist Solar 101 Workshop Handouts
Solar for Houses of Worship Workshop Presentations (7/26/18):
- Diane Cheklich (Dept. of Energy, Solar in Your Community Challenge coach): Solar 101 and "Power Purchase Agreement Case Study
- Dave Friedrichs (Homeland Solar): Solar Economics
- Michigan IPL's presentation
- Maria Thomas (Soulardarity): Power UP
- Gesu Catholic Solar 101 Workshop Handouts
- Resources related to the Detroit Water and Sewer Dept.'s drainage fees (4/21/18)
- Douglas Congregational UCC Rev. Salvatore Sapienza's Earth Day Sermon contest winning sermon (4/22/18)
- Dr. David Karowe (Western Michigan University), Presentation: “Effects of Climate Change on the Great Lakes Region” (10/6/17)
- Going Solar: Michigan IPL's Guidebook for Houses of Worship (2015)
- Statements about Earth care from diverse faith traditions
- Carbon Fast for Lent Calendar (2018)
Study Guides & Sustainability Manuals:
Awakening to God’s Call to Earthkeeping
A four-session small group study curriculum designed to encourage, empower, and equip members of faith communities in their calling to care for creation. Prepared by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Becoming Carbon Positive: A Manual for Places of Worship
Members of green teams in congregations worked together to produce a greening manual for congregations. The manual was created by Climate Buddies Interfaith Environmental Network.
The Cry of Creation: Study Guide on Global Warming
The Interfaith Climate and Energy Campaign’s study guide contains short readings and questions for discussion. Designed to work as a 3-4 week course for any faith community that desires to reflect on and take action to curtail climate change.
Energy Conservation & Management Guide for Churches
A detailed, 47-page manual from the Michigan Energy Office. Each of its 6 sections contains practical information and suggested procedures and forms designed to be used in implementing a specific part of an energy conservation program.
ENERGY STAR Action Workbook for Congregations
This 42-page workbook provides practical advice to help congregations implement energy efficiency changes in their houses of worship and start saving money.
Green Gurdwaras: Guide to Greening Sikh Places of Worship Across the U.S.
This 18-page guide by Eco Sikh covers green landscaping, energy efficiency and conservation, water conservation, food and waste reduction, and the indoor environment.
Green Sanctuary Manual
This 118-page guide was updated by the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations in 2009. The program it outlines is meant to “give roots and wings to the vision of a world in which all people make reverence, gratitude, and care for the living Earth central to their lives,” and suggests specific activities that congregations of all denominations can do to further these goals.
This set of resources is put together by the Humane Society. It offers suggestions for transforming resource-intensive, conventional lawns into sustainable landscapes that provide safe haven for wildlife, people, and pets. The suggestions can be adapted to residential backyards, church grounds, or community spaces. Great for kids!
International Environment Forum: Scientific and Spiritual Dimensions of Climate Change course
This 9-session course is designed to help participants gain a deeper understanding of climate change, to explore ethical questions connected to climate change, and to learn how to address these issues in the context of the spiritual teachings from the world’s religions. Designed to be used by any faith group.
The Jewish Energy Guide
COEJL presents a comprehensive Jewish approach to the challenges of energy security and climate change and offers a blueprint for achieving greenhouse gas emissions reductions in the context of the Jewish religious calendar.
Solar Energy Guide
Since 1977, the price of solar panels has dropped approximately 100 times over, and solar power is now cheaper than power from the grid for billions of people. ConsumerAffairs created this guide that helps consumers determine whether or not “going solar” will work for them.
United Church of Christ Resources for Individuals and Congregations
The United Church of Christ has an environmental justice section of its website with a variety of helpful resources.