Jennifer Young donated 2020-06-01 17:31:16 -0400
Interested in helping your congregation go solar? Here are a few resources to get you started.
- Going Solar: 10 Steps for Congregations (1 page)
- Going Solar: Guidebook for Houses of Worship (48 pages, published in 2015-- revision coming soon!)
- What is a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)? (2 pages)
- Solar Guide for Houses of Worship: How to Use Investors (by the Genesis of Ann Arbor Green Team, 10 pages)
- Solar Summit: A Webinar with Haslett Community Church (March 2020)
- Solar Faithful Webinar: Using Investors and Power Purchase Agreements (May 2020)
Solar Congregations in Michigan
If your solar congregation would like to be added to this list, email Jennifer. Faith communities that have installed solar are usually pretty excited to tell others about it, so if you'd like our help reaching a solar congregation, let us know and we'll do our best to connect you.
As a part of the Solar Faithful initiative, funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy and the City of Ann Arbor, we have four legal templates that may be useful if your faith community endeavors to finance solar using a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) or investor-owned LLC. Enter your contact information here to receive the links to the legal templates.Sign up
To minimize the risk of spreading the Coronavirus, a Home Energy Analysis can be completed 100% virtually OR in-person with social distancing and Personal Protective Equipment.
Earn up to $5,000 for your congregation by helping members and friends save energy!
The Coronavirus pandemic has caused financial hardship for many people and the congregations they are a part of. House of Worship Rewards is an opportunity for congregations to EARN money, while helping their members and friends to SAVE money.
How it works
- Your congregation encourages members and friends to sign up for a free Home Energy Analysis from Consumers Energy.
- Folks choose between a virtual or an in-person visit. Virtual visits are done over the phone, and customers receive free, customized energy efficient upgrades in the mail (100% contact-less). In-home visits are conducted with PPE and appropriate distancing, with free energy efficient upgrades directly installed by technicians.
- Your congregation earns a cash reward of up to $5,000, based on the number of sign-ups!
Eligible congregations and religious schools:
- Are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- Have congregants and friends with Consumers Energy gas or electric service
Your house of worship DOES NOT need to be a Consumers Energy customer to participate.
What does the Home Energy Analysis include?
Consumers Energy's Home Energy Analysis includes an energy assessment and free energy efficient upgrades. One customer had this to say:
I am so glad I had my inspection done. I got a new programmable thermostat, 10 LED lightbulbs, a new shower head with hose and different settings, a new sink faucet spout with different settings, and they went into my crawl space and wrapped my pipes. I am very happy. Very nice service. –Heather
Want to share this opportunity with your congregation? Download the flyer.
Why is Consumers Energy giving away free stuff? Is this a scam?
It does seem unusual that a utility-- which makes money by selling energy-- would run a program to help its customers buy less of its product! Here's the backstory:
Since the enactment of the Clean, Renewable, and Efficient Energy Act of 2008, and the extension of the Energy Efficiency Standard in 2016, Michigan utilities are required to spend a percentage of their profits on energy efficiency products and services for their customers. Programs like this help utilities fulfill this obligation and help reduce energy demand in Michigan. That means using less fossil fuels and needing to build fewer new power plants, which mean a cleaner, healthier Michigan.
Is there a program that can help save energy and money in my house of worship?
Yes! Check out our sister program, Light the Way.
I still have questions! Who can I talk to?
Contact our Project Manager, Jennifer Young, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-463-8811.
Jennifer Young donated 2019-04-03 13:34:16 -0400
Jennifer Young pledged $100.00 2018-12-20 12:16:06 -0500
Your support is vital to our mission: to inspire and equip people of faith to exercise love for all Creation.
This year, your donations helped us:
- Lift up the voices of faith leaders calling for water protection and water justice.
- Offer 5 solar workshops and host 6 solar celebrations around the state.
- Support the greening of Detroit houses of worship by connecting them with the US Green Building Council’s 2030 District initiative.
- Collaborate with the City of Ann Arbor to help 12 congregations explore and figure out how to finance solar energy.
- Install free energy efficiency upgrades in 160 houses of worship (goal: 200 by the end of the year) through Light the Way.
- Gather thousands of signatures to advocate for strong Clean Car Standards.
...and there's so much more to be done!TIME LEFT TO DONATE$1,200.00 pledged$5,000.00
Jennifer Young endorsed 2018-04-13 11:57:11 -0400
The Line 5 Pipeline poses an unreasonable risk to our Great Lakes and should be decommissioned. For lots more information, check out Oil & Water Don't Mix.
Faith leaders hand delivered this letter to the Governor's Office on April 23, 2018.
PRIVACY NOTE: We ask for your address only so that we can identify you as a Michigan resident. We won't send you unsolicited mail.
Dear Gov. Snyder and Attorney General Schuette,
As people of many faiths, we are called by the Creator to guide and lead others to love and care for each other and all of creation. Therefore, we ask that you respond carefully and quickly to an issue which is of grave importance to the entire Great Lakes ecosystem and our communities within the Basin.
Members of our faith communities have indicated growing concern over the lack of adequate upkeep and question the necessity of continuing operation of the Enbridge Pipeline 5. This 65-year-old pipeline, which runs over and through the entire State of Michigan, is showing signs of decomposition and has a history of 29 documented leaks totaling over 1 million gallons. The line’s rising potential for rupture jeopardizes the future water quality, ecosystem health, commercial fisheries, tourism, and livelihood of those across and beyond Michigan.
We call upon you, our elected leaders, to uphold the principle of the Public Trust Doctrine, wherein the people of Michigan have the inalienable right to the preservation, use and protection of the waters of the Great Lakes. This doctrine affirms that no private, public or commercial use shall harm the waters of the Great Lakes by materially reducing the flow, changing levels, or polluting the waters of the Great Lakes Basin. This principle aligns with our call as people of faith and citizens of the world to assure the right stewardship of our waters. Simply put, it is our belief that the Great Lakes are not an appropriate place to transport crude oil and it is our right as citizens to demand that this practice cease.
We share with scores of Michiganders their concerns about a growing threat of a spill, vague safety tests, and piecemeal repair each time pipe degradation is observed. These are not solutions to the problem, but a band-aid at best. For all the risk that Line 5 poses to Michigan and the Great Lakes Region, the benefits are few. The public has been crying out for this Line to be closed for almost a decade and easements across tribal lands expired in 2013.
As representatives of thousands of voices across Michigan we demand that you:
- Initiate decommissioning of the pipeline NOW and decline the building of any more underwater lines in the Great Lakes Basin.
- Stop using the “loss of propane” as a scare tactic and make arrangements for land-based transportation for the small amount of propane that is needed in the Upper Peninsula currently coming from the pipeline. Trains and tankers are proven alternatives and viable options.
- Demonstrate proper governmental oversight to protect the people and state resources!
- Show compassion for others and the planet. Consider the legacy you intend to leave for all our children and grandchildren and the earth.
We will continue to pray over this issue and voice our concern everywhere we can. We will pray that you, our elected and appointed representatives, will experience a change in heart and mind, and that you stand with the majority of people who lovingly show compassion for this planet – our island home – we only have one.Endorse