On October 11, 2014, Michigan IPL and the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan presented an interfaith advocacy conference, “Finding Our Voice in the Public Square: Caring for the Earth,” at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Marquette. Over 65 clergy and lay leaders from across the Upper Peninsula gathered to be trained in advocacy and to engage with area candidates and elected officials on environmental policy.
James Clift, Policy Director for Michigan Environmental Council (Lansing), gave the Keynote address, and the one-day conference also included two panels discussions and breakout sessions.
- Bishop Tom Skrenes, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
- Bishop Rayford Ray, Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan
- Rev. Elbert Dulworth, District Superintendent, Marquette District United Methodist Church
Politicial Leader Panel:
- State Rep. Scott Dianda, D, Calumet
- State Rep. Ed McBroom, R, Norway
- Jerry Cannon, Candidate for US House of Representatives
- Jen Hill, Superior Watershed Partnership
- Rich Vander Veen, Mackinaw Power LLC
- Amy Conover, Superior Sustainability
- Luke Allen and Julie Lyons Bricker, Michigan IPL
Additional cosponsors included: Interfaith Forum, Superior Sustainability, and Earth Keepers II.