This year, we are continuing our partnership with Consumers Energy to help congregations spend less on energy and more on their vital missions– all while helping protect God’s creation.
This year, 200 congregations will receive free energy assessments + efficiency upgrades.
- are Consumers customers
- own their facility
- are located in Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Flint or Saginaw areas
See the light!
Did you know that in houses of worship the biggest portion of the electricity usage comes from lighting? Here are the free upgrade products available to participants.
For customers with Consumers Electricity:
- T-LED 4′ fluorescent tubes (replaces T-8 CFL, if ballast is compatible)
- 11W Flood LED (replaces 65W incandescent floodlight)
- 9W LED (replaces 60W incandescent)
- 4-6W LED (replaces 25w-40W incandescent candelabra)
- LED bulbs for Exit Signs
- Vending Machine Miser (for compatible cold beverage machines)
For customers with Consumers Gas:
- Programmable Thermostat (if system is compatible with new thermostat)
For customers whose water heater is powered by Consumers gas or electric:
- Pre-Rinse Spray Valve
- Bathroom Faucet Aerators
- Kitchen Faucet Aerators
So… why is Consumers giving away free stuff? Why would they want to sell us less energy?
Since the enactment of the Clean, Renewable, and Efficient Energy Act of 2008, Michigan utilities are required to spend a percentage of their profits on energy efficiency products and services for their customers. Programs like this one boost customer satisfaction for the utilities and enable them to demonstrate that they are investing in energy efficiency at the required levels. At the same time, these programs also help us (in our congregations and our homes) cut energy waste and lower our bills.