Light the Way has accomplished a lot in the past 3 years:
- $400,000 worth of energy upgrades have been installed in houses of worship for FREE
- 415 congregations have been served
- 40 faith traditions and denominations have participated
In 2018, we will help another 200 congregations become better stewards of the earth and find more money for their missions by saving energy.
Congregations eligible for free energy assessments + upgrades:
- have Consumers electric or electric + gas service
- own their facility
If you’re not sure if your house of worship has participated yet, get in touch with us and we will let you know. If your congregation participated in 2015 or 2016, you might be eligible again, as new products have been added and additional items are eligible for upgrade.
On average, participating congregations have received more than $1,000 in free upgrades and are expected to save $500+ on annual energy expenses.
See the light!
Did you know that in houses of worship the biggest portion of the electricity usage usually comes from lighting?
Customers with Consumers Electricity may receive:
- T-LED insta-fit 4′ tubes (replaces T-8 fluorescent, if ballast is compatible)
- 11W Flood LED (replaces 65W incandescent floodlight)
- 9W LED (replaces 60W incandescent)
- 4-6W LED (replaces 25W-40W incandescent candelabra)
- LED bulbs for Exit Signs
- Vending Machine Miser (for compatible cold beverage machines)
For customers whose water heater is powered by Consumers gas or electric:
- Pre-Rinse Spray Valve
- Bathroom Faucet Aerators
- Kitchen Faucet Aerators
So… why is Consumers giving away free stuff? Why would they want to sell us less energy?
Great question! Since the enactment of the Clean, Renewable, and Efficient Energy Act of 2008, and the extension of the Energy Efficiency Standard in 2016, Michigan utilities are required to spend a percentage of their profits on energy efficiency products and services for their customers. Programs like this help utilities fulfill this obligation and boost customer satisfaction.
Why is Michigan IPL working with a utility?
Michigan IPL has worked with Consumers to develop this program because it helps us to fulfill our mission to inspire and equip faith communities to be better stewards of God’s creation. And we
think know it helps congregations spend less on bills and more on things that matter.